This two-minute video from NBC Nightly News illustrates the role of ocean waves in the geoscience processes of erosion, deposition and weathering. This clip can be used as an introduction to MS-ESS2-2 which focuses on how these processes have changed Earth's surface at varying time and spatial scales.
The specific phenomenon reported on in this piece could stimulate the following introductory questions:
1. What geoscience processes are at work in this video?
2. Have the processes accelerated over the past few decades?
3. What factors may be responsible for the acceleration?
4. What political and economic issues could be affected by the processes?
5. What can be done to mitigate the effects of the processes?
As a reminder, teachers may want to preview the link to check if any viewers have left inappropriate comments; the video clip itself is appropriate for all audiences.