This portrait by Philippe Halsman shows a great deal of mid-air action. Cats, paintings, a footstool, water and an artist (Salvador Dali) appear suspended in space. (This image is not photoshopped.) Use the “Click to Expand” button to show just the image without the explanatory text. This phenomenon could stimulate the following driving questions:
- How did they create this picture?
- Why does it look like gravity got turned off?
- How does gravity work, anyway?
- Is gravity doing the same thing to all the objects in the photo?
- Are the objects falling? Are they falling in the same way? If they aren’t falling, why aren’t they?
NOTE: depending on your image quality, one painting at the back of the image may clearly show partial female nudity. This may or may not be appropriate for your classroom.